Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

25 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net

Re: It's decision time for me - again
Home away from home
Quote:

jko wrote:
Don't mean to sidetrack this discussion, but I've had problems with cbb and opted to use newbbex. As a new user I don't fully know my way around it but I'd be interested to hear what features you feel are missing from it. It may help my own choices before I get too deeply committed to it.

John

Newbb-fileup and Newbbex are clones of an earlier version and just do not have the features. The best thing I can say is, since you already have Newbbex, install CBB and compare. But the main thing for me is that, with the first 2, once the forums are set up, you cannot change the forum position. That's a killer. Not so bad if you have a very small and unimportant forum, but unacceptable otherwise.

The forums that allow you to weight (and therefore sort) individual forum positions are CBB, X-forum (a CBB clone), and d3Forum. All have issues with ICMS at the moment.

As far as d3Forum goes, the main issues are the crazy post numbering and the default layout. May work fine otherwise. I don't know. And better templates are available, thanks to Mr. Theme. A lot of people talk about and recommend d3, but I don't know if many are actually using it. CBB is, for example, the forum used at ICMS at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/8/22 14:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
As I mentioned in a previous post - we've been starting to look at ways of improving cbb - but this will take some time to work through.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 14:53

Home away from home
Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
As I mentioned in a previous post - we've been starting to look at ways of improving cbb - but this will take some time to work through.

That's a good thing, and I'm glad to hear it. CBB/X-forum is a great forum. In the meantime, though, I have no forum.

What do you think about the d3Forum post numbering thing? Is that too weird to try to use it? Do you think it's a bug? Nothing from GIJoe yet.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:03

Home away from home
It sounds more of a quirk, then a bug.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:07

Home away from home
From Antwerp
To be honest with you, Gijoe has his own ideas about things, and he cares more about security than other things, which means he make very safe modules, you can not find any module as safe as his in x.o and icms, but lack of features...

a while ago, Me and M.R theme made some improvements on d3forum's templates:

here is the basic work of me:
http://community.impresscms.org/modul ... t_id=10277#forumpost10277

and

http://community.impresscms.org/modul ... t_id=10328#forumpost10328

and this is the finalized, worked out by M.R theme:

http://community.impresscms.org/modul ... t_id=18346#forumpost18346

you can use them to have a more better look.

about your issues, I think it is a problem related to your core files, that's why I am asking you to re-upload all core files (except mainfile.php) and then newbb and Frameworks.

then let us know

and we have started reviewing newbb's code, it might take a while until we finalize it, I am very busy ..., but then it'll be 100% icms compatible + no needs to frameworks!

Posted on: 2008/8/22 15:22

Home away from home
Quote:

stranger wrote:
To be honest with you, Gijoe has his own ideas about things, and he cares more about security than other things, which means he make very safe modules, you can not find any module as safe as his in x.o and icms, but lack of features...

a while ago, Me and M.R theme made some improvements on d3forum's templates:

here is the basic work of me:
http://community.impresscms.org/modul ... t_id=10277#forumpost10277

and

http://community.impresscms.org/modul ... t_id=10328#forumpost10328

and this is the finalized, worked out by M.R theme:

http://community.impresscms.org/modul ... t_id=18346#forumpost18346

you can use them to have a more better look.

Got 'em and like 'em!

Quote:

about your issues, I think it is a problem related to your core files, that's why I am asking you to re-upload all core files (except mainfile.php) and then newbb and Frameworks.

then let us know

I will do this this afternoon.

Quote:

and we have started reviewing newbb's code, it might take a while until we finalize it, I am very busy ..., but then it'll be 100% icms compatible + no needs to frameworks!

That will be greaaaatttttt!!! And a good solid move for Impress, too. Now, if we could just convince JLM to come over . . . Oh well, I guess it's one step at a time. Now is it first right and then left, or the other way around?

Jere

Posted on: 2008/8/22 16:24

Home away from home

I reloaded system files and updated, installed CBB 3.08, and uploaded Frameworks 1.10. Then I rebuilt the forumm structure as before. Now, everything (fingers crossed) seems to be working. Back on track. For a while, anyway.

Thanks to all!

Jere

Posted on: 2008/8/23 0:21

Home away from home
From Under the sea.
I like JLM modules but it's his choice not to offer support. We all knew that eventually we'd reach this point where some wouldn't want to support both systems. Another developer not supporting ImpressCMS is Zoullou.

Another great loss of talent but I'm really not worried. The way I see it is this is open source and ongoing support will still happen here as and when required. I'd like to see something like GForge installed and then allowing developers to openly apply for developer access to a module, I suppose like an adoption program perhaps even include a sponsorship program for new features.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 2:32

Home away from home
Quote:

jfmoore wrote:
Still looking for input on the post numbering issue. Is this a bug, not a bug, a good thing, poor design or what?

Jere

Since his site appears to have a different numbering scheme, there must be a way to change it

Posted on: 2008/8/23 2:46

Home away from home
on the main topic - what are the deciding factors for selecting a cms?

Out of the box usability?
Core support?
Community?
Available modules?
What type of modules?
What features?
Migration from other platforms?
Visual appeal? Theme selection?
Security?
Stability?
Scalability?

I think we can answer these questions and create a list of others we need to answer. From that we can develop an Impressive Road Map!

Posted on: 2008/8/23 2:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]