Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

26 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net

What next?
Home away from home
This isn't really a thread for development discussion, but it's the closest thing - what comes after ImpressCMS 1.3?

I've begun a blog series - have a look and have your say To Infinity and Beyond (or ImpressCMS 1.4, which ever comes first)

Posted on: 2011/5/24 23:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What next?
Home away from home
I'm getting on a plane to Sweden shortly and will be out of touch, so I have to give you this all at once

I think we need to focus on modules for a while. The core development (which has been excellent by the way) has run a long way ahead of the modules. Also, 1.4 will break compatibility with legacy XOOPS modules. We NEED to have a set of 1.3+ compatible modules available that will:

a) Cover the essential functionality that most people require from a CMS (as a minimum).

b) Be carried forward into the future, ie. be maintained and have an ongoing development path.

The compatibility breakage will narrow down the number of available modules for some time. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as a lot of the old XOOPS modules are not being maintained and are way overdue for retirement. Back to lean and mean.

Proposal

I also suggest that the accumulated $$$ and advertising revenue could be invested in further development of the system. This could include:

1. Commissioning PAID development of essential modules for the community’s benefit, where there is not an existing candidate available, or paying people to update existing modules to 1.3 spec.

2. Maybe award of a ‘best module’ or ‘best contribution’ prize or ‘bounties’ periodically for getting particular jobs done, which may accumulate if there are no satisfactory developments etc, which could be announced through the email newsletter etc.

Obviously there would need to be a discussion about what module functionality is essential, where are the gaps and who will do what, but I don't think it would be too hard to come up with a process.

[Please note that since I am suggesting this, I will not participate in paid development schemes, in order to avoid any conflict of interest].

Posted on: 2011/5/25 10:30

Home away from home
From Belgium
I agree with you that there is a lack of up-to-date modules. Essentially, most modules have been lingering since coming over from the Xoops days.

Some module developers have remained quite active - MacDonald, Madfish and Phoenyx have stood out, (apologies if I forgot others), but most modules are dormant, without maintainer.

I remain convinced that the module development should be distinct from core development. The core devs shouldn't have to be switching between core and modules.

There are 2 ways to solve this problem :
a) do the work ourselves
b) help and teach others how to do module dev/maintenance

Starting in a), learning to do b) is the course of action I would take. Write documentation, re-start video tutorials, maybe sponsor some development (why not? if the end result is open source)

Related to this: If people are willing to participate in a new video tutorial series like the one currently on impresscms.tv, let me know. I'd love to re-start the series, and go all the way from the start to the end result of a complete module.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:12

Me on Ohloh

Home away from home
I will help with videos, I think I can do some on various aspects of IPF programming that I have learned. Maybe we can plan a series?

Posted on: 2011/5/25 11:52

Home away from home
From Belgium
Thanks, I was hoping on doing a series of short, to-the-point videos. Let me know when you would be available to discuss it.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 15:04

Me on Ohloh

Home away from home
I've said this elsewhere - but a comment really wasn't the best place...

going back to Madfish's comments ...

-------------

One of the biggest mistakes xoops made I think was to remove default modules from it's install.

Having those modules there when you downloaded 2.0.7 meant you had almost everything you needed - and didn't have to spend ages looking for something suitable.

Having a good selection (not all) of modules when you download the core (and having a version with perhaps content and profile) would mean a new user could simply get on with the process of setting up a site straight away - and remove the need for looking for suitable tools for the job.

Add to the fact that not all modules are compatible, and some aren't as stable or suitable as we'd like - it means we could simply just have trusted modules included.

This brings me to a point i've discussed with a few users... we do seriously need to consider doing a release before 1.4 final , and after 1.3 Final, to do smaller regular upgrades of the core - but essentially to look at the inclusions of any additional modules that are needed for specific purposes.

I'll post more in a little while - but forgive me if my points are a bit disjointed as i've been a little unwell last few weeks .. and my head, as the delightful expressions says, is up my arse at the moment!

------------------

BTW - the video's sound like a very good idea!

And the paid modules... well i'm interested in contributing out of my own pocket for module development ... but this project is only going to succeed to its best if we abandon as much of the xoops legacy code that we can. We really need to consider putting our hands on keyboards, pockets and anywhere else required and getting some of those ancient modules replaced with solid code written from scratch for ImpressCMS.

(Except for a few very good x-legacy based modules that exist of course!)

I certainly agree that if we can afford it, rewarding module developers for their hard work - or encouraging them to put the work in - is not a bad thing!

We don't want to lose more users - or developers - because of lack of more quality modules.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 8:48

Home away from home
I personally think that we should concentrate between 1.3 and 1.4 with a smaller set of core releases: perhaps 1.32, 1.34, etc.. which simply tackle a small number of core areas - and are essentially used to include a module to tackle a certain task, which could be then packaged with the core by default.

Example: Menu management... this could easily be adapted from (for example) Mekdrop's Main_menu module and included in a post 1.3 release... giving users an option for flexible menu management on their sites... if the core was packaged with Profile, Content, Protector and Menu - it would be a good foundation for a new site.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 8:52

Home away from home
From Netherlands
I totally agree with Madfish about the lack of modules. And also with david about that fact that removing the basic modules out of the core packages.

If ImpressCMS wants to revive, I think it will and we all want that, we definitely have to look at our modules.

After some years of using ICMS I still think I am a rookie. My needs are a good CMS which is easy to use and with all the basic functions in one pack. I need a pach with core, news, fora, links, rss, downloads and contact.
I think new users or potential user that we want to attract to ICMS have the same needs aswell. When we become more familiar with it then we are able to search and try new things.

So lets focus on building a strong CMS with the basic modules. And don't forget listening to what our community en potential users want! Do not make history become future again!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 11:15

Home away from home
Lowering the Barriers, post #2

I'm going to keep stirring the pot and challenging you!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 15:10

Just can't stay away
From Maastricht, the Netherlands
Oh okay,.

Saw the thread and my fingers just began typing, sometimes I can't resist;)

What I'm missing in ICMS.

Useability in the admin section:

I can imagine that a new user of icms will drown in all of the technical terms that are used within the admin section. Example, html purifier (wut), ACP (wut), Mime types (wut) (not even going to discus the relevance yet).

Secondly, a new user does not have a clear view where he/she is when clicked on a section. The only hook he/she has is a tiny breadcrumb.

There are no hooks for modules throughout the whole admin section other than within the module section.

I can fill this list with dozens of examples, but I won't.

What I mean to say, give icms back to the real/potential users. Don't try to overflow users with technical posibilities, but make something that works, is easy to use and brings back the fun for everone.

(ps, I'm not bashing, I do love ICMS :) )

Posted on: 2011/5/26 18:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]