Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

24 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 24

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net

Additional default block positions?
Home away from home
After seeing this ticket request here and recalling some theme designs that have had additional blocks added to provide extra locations... I was wondering if we should provide some additional block locations as standard?

We currently have 16 positions - 8 for "front side" and 8 for "admin side"

Side Block - Left
Side Block - Right
Center Block - Bottom
Center Block - Bottom left
Center Block - Bottom right
Center Block - Center
Center Block - Left
Center Block - Right

Admin Side Block - Left
Admin Side Block - Right
Admin Center Block - Bottom
Admin Center Block - Bottom left
Admin Center Block - Bottom right
Admin Center Block - Center
Admin Center Block - Left
Admin Center Block - Right

But should we add the an additional "header" and "footer" block as per the ticket suggestion? And also - should we consider adding a small set of undefined ones for other purposes?

I know users can add these by using the admin - but sometimes this isn't logistically possible. And at present we have no way of adding positions other than admin side or having them as default.

Ok - can we have some thoughts on this please?

Posted on: 2012/3/21 19:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Additional default block positions?
Home away from home
From Dallas, TX
I am a fan of extra positions, but... It does little good to add more block position to the core by default.

The theme should control this.

Even if you did decide to bloat the core (and the admin panel for that matter) with more block positions, what good does it really do? How long will that last until someone comes along and asks for an extra position so they have a place to put pictures of their kittehs?

As a themer, I certainly will no longer suggest that users create block positions to accommodate the extra zones in the theme, and I won't build in functionality for something I am not sure will exist. It creates too much possibility for user error, and user confusion.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 20:34

Home away from home
From Germany
Maybe the theme should define the name of the postion, if it's use a postionen in a different way?

Posted on: 2012/3/21 21:04

Home away from home
From Spain
I believe David was thinking about normally a theme has header, menu, and blocks before footer. If they are core blocks position a designer can create designs and a user can edit them. Now if I make a new theme with several custom position blocks, the user must to create them.
However it is not core matter; perhaps we need a theme management features in Control Panel

Posted on: 2012/3/23 12:53

Home away from home
Yes, thats the sort of areas I mean - although it's actually McDonald's suggestion ... to be honest, we already have these areas - except they are really hard-coded html at present where a standard block could allow a bit more flexibility

Posted on: 2012/3/24 0:35

Home away from home
From Dallas, TX
But again, where does it end? I completely understand the reasoning behind it - I really do. However, is it really something that should be in the core?

I don't believe so - we already have plenty of 'default' positions. If more positions are added it should be at the discretion of the user - and the themer in the long run.

If you have a site that has all of these default positions - plus it has been around for a bit and all of these themes are hard coded to use their own custom block positions for special areas - it just gets out of control.

On my old dev site I had like 30 block positions. Between testing other themes and developing my own. I know that is an edge case, but the idea of there being even more default block positions worries me.

After these, then it will be - hey how about a new default _admin_header position (don't forget the footer!) and our addition of two - just went to four.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 1:59

Home away from home
From /home/日本
I agree with Will. It's a idea of the theme developer only. For example from my theme (see attached image). You have a chance to create a theme with difficult designs, since you have 8 positions.

Attach file:

png  ImpressCMS-block-example.png (183.45 KB)
10__217994f6d2e5a4658e.png 1228X1369 px

Posted on: 2012/3/24 2:15

Home away from home
From Germany
For several reasons I would like, to see 2 more block positions already included. If not, it doesn't matter for me. I'm just not a fan of the idea to allow themes to create their own block positions on installation.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 7:05

Home away from home
From Dallas, TX
Why wouldn't you want themes to do it?

Posted on: 2012/3/24 14:45

Home away from home
A header block would be a useful addition. Its one of those things that people don't use because its not set up for them. And approximately 100% of themes have a header area.

If clutter is an issue, I can't remember if its possible to delete the default positions or not, but I'd quite like to be able to remove the ones I don't use.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 15:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]