Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

23 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net

It's decision time for me - again
Home away from home
As I said in another post, my forum (CBB) is broken and has been for a while. I can't expect PHPPP to help, and d3Forum still does not seem to be a viable option. Also, John Mordo, developer of Classifieds and Jobs, has made it clear that he is Xoops only.

That leaves me in a tight spot, since I have to have news, forums, and classifieds. News is covered with SS, but the other areas are worrisome. My site is still new and has not a lot of content, so if I must move back to Xoops, or even to Drupal, then I have to do it now.

If I'm to stay with Classifieds by JLM, then Xoops may be the wisest choice, but I don't see Xoops going where I need to go. That leaves Drupal which means I would have to learn a completely new way of doing things, but there is so much functionality in the core and with existing extensions, that it looks like I can do nearly everything that I need to do.

I love Impress, but the module situation is a problem—for me, anyway. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Jere

Posted on: 2008/8/21 18:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: It's decision time for me - again
Quite a regular
Forums
1. SMF with bridge
2. newbbex by instant zero http://xoops.instant-zero.com/modules ... inglefile.php?cid=4&lid=2

Posted on: 2008/8/21 18:55

Home away from home
From Derbyshire/UK
AMS is an extremely good alternative to news module, and it's developer has said that he will support impresscms aswell as xoops.

Quote:

Also, John Mordo, developer of Classifieds and Jobs, has made it clear that he is Xoops only.

whilst that's unfortunate, it's not the end of the world. in future that may change in the substantial political and unopenness of xoops council, but i'm sure we can find a solution somewhere, especially with bugfixing of modules or compatibility issues.

i know xoops council are trying hard to make it so that modules developed for xoops will only work with xoops. but that could backfire too, or it may not. it doesn't matter in the GPL open source business.

take for instance, the words of council in that all modules developed for xoops 2.0, will work with xoops 2.3 & xoops 3. that is slightly misleading, because as you can clearly see on xoops site, that some modules available now, and even popular modules, will need to be modified and edited just for them to work with xoops 2.3. so that clearly makes the above statement incorrect.
I don't believe the xoops council or core team has the ability to bring skalpas vision of xoopshere (xoops 3) to the limelight. but what do we know eh, you can't even view the source for xoops3 anywhere because it's being developed independantly by a commercial chinese company, and it's being kept private. so module developers can't really take a peek either to see what tools etc they will be able to use. anyway, not to dig at xoops too much and to get back to your concerns of which i do fully understand your predicament.

we could always make those modules work with impresscms. call it module customization. it's the same as people taking nuke themes and making them xoops or impresscms themes. well you can apply that principle to modules aswell.

in future you will probably see modules developed for impresscms, but nmost module developers who use impresscms will try as much as possible to make their modules work with both impresscms and xoops, we do have a lot of respect for xoops & it's devs, it's just the direction & management we disagree with, oh and the BS politics and propoganda.

Posted on: 2008/8/21 19:10

The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together!

Quite a regular
From Parker, CO
This is an interesting thread which underscores an issue I am concerned with regarding any open source project. Ongoing support (especially in the case of modules).

As such, I think that I am going to have to learn a bit about how to create modules for ImpressCMS, minimally to maintain the code, but also to develop new code (which, if you have ever seen the spaghetti I've passed of as code, is a very scary thought).

Is there an "ImpressCMS: Creating New Modules for really poor programmers guide" out there?

Hmm... may have answered my own question -
http://wiki.impresscms.org/index.php?title=Module_Tutorial

-Commerce

Posted on: 2008/8/21 20:22

Home away from home
Quote:

Lance_ wrote:
Forums
1. SMF with bridge
2. newbbex by instant zero http://xoops.instant-zero.com/modules ... inglefile.php?cid=4&lid=2

1. Need fully integrated forum
2. Great module, but lacking in features

Posted on: 2008/8/21 20:26

Not too shy to talk
From Scotland
Don't mean to sidetrack this discussion, but I've had problems with cbb and opted to use newbbex. As a new user I don't fully know my way around it but I'd be interested to hear what features you feel are missing from it. It may help my own choices before I get too deeply committed to it.

John

Posted on: 2008/8/21 21:35

Quite a regular
Ya do be specific about what you need then.

Basically, either you will have to adapt a forum to you or you adapt to a forum.

Cheers,

Posted on: 2008/8/21 23:15

Home away from home
Quote:
...and d3Forum still does not seem to be a viable option.

Maybe I've missed something, but why is d3Forum not a viable option?

Posted on: 2008/8/22 6:59

Just can't stay away
I think D3 forum is a very good form implementation, it just sucks on the presentation, but I've read here somewhere that somebody made some better templates for it.

To me it's a matter of weight. Weight of the forum compared to the weight of the cms part.
Two years ago I had one site where the weight of the forum was more then the weight of the cms part.
I converted this site to a smf forum an for the cms part I choose for tiny portal.
So here the forum is the most important part, still I have a good (tiny) cms implementation.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 7:08

Home away from home
Quote:

UnderDog wrote:
Quote:
...and d3Forum still does not seem to be a viable option.

Maybe I've missed something, but why is d3Forum not a viable option?

1. The crazy way it numbers posts. If this is a bug, then what else is wrong. If it's not, then he's changed it for some inexplicable reason.

2. The default layout

3. I've never had any luck getting support at GIJoe's site. When he does answer, I have trouble understand what he is trying to say. Not his fault I don't understand Japanese, but there you go.

4. Front end administration

That's as far as I've gotten with it, but that's far enough for me. Still looking for input on the post numbering issue. Is this a bug, not a bug, a good thing, poor design or what?

Jere

Posted on: 2008/8/22 13:41

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.