Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

16 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 16

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net

Re: [Wave 4] WWW Site redesign : Users
Home away from home
From Belgium
Bleekk is currently working on the front page.

The other pages will need to be looked at too (module templates and such). I'll have a look at those this week. Any suggestions are welcome in the meantime.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 9:18

Me on Ohloh
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Just can't stay away
First off, I love the original idea of this site's makeover as well as Blekk's revamp with the darker overall body background. We need to keep the orange that so many of us are familiar with but I think the white of the content wrapper sticks out more with a dark background. Any chance that dark background might look good with a deep blue (like on our dropdown selections in these forums) or a dark green reminiscent of some of the topside tabs of the current site?

Its definitely friendly. However, many of the people here make interesting points as to the "method of madness" behind use of Impress CMS.

First off, ImpressCMS is still an overlooked product when you have CMS like Drupal and Wordpress running around. Admittedly, those are the CMF/CMS I work with most of the time, partially because its a product that potential clients have heard of already.

However, one of the reasons Im even working on ImpressCMS stuff is because as a template designer, I wanted something different. I want to be able to say that I am NOT a one trick pony who only knows the most popular things spoonfed to people. What better way to learn than to use a more obscure product for my personal portfolio site which I am building up?

It seems to me that ImpressCMS is drawing in develepors, themers/designers, and other "behind the scenes" geeks in first, and its going to be up to the ImpressCMS team to come up with the marketing tools to push this into something that BOTH end users AND the middle man (designers and programmers who wish to pitch using ImpressCMS as a possible solution to a customer's needs) will see potential in. Im not a marketing guru but I do agree that 5-10 seconds is the "attention span" of most people, so a good design of our front page is important as well as good organization of both "newbie/beginner" content and the other important content already mentioned by others in this thread.

In other words, I agree with much of peoples sentiment that the only way we can get people off of the "tried and true" CMS that have already made headway is to give them a website which explains (in short order)that its not as painful of a CMS to consider using in place of what they already have used. I find that most people, if they are gonna change over from something familiar, want to access 60-70% of the key functions (things that are core functions such as page, taxonomy/categories, etc..) right then and there without too much walking backwards and having to relearn that 60% all over again. This isnt to say that we actually need to make our software more like our more known "competitors", but just as easy and understandable both in its documentation and backend/UI design.

That said, I do agree that UX/UI concerns for the administration portions of this software are also important. I have a couple ideas myself. However, admittedly, I have had very little ACTUAL experience designing templates/UI on the backend of things. I just have mental notes regarding the backend interface of ImpressCMS regarding what parts of the interface work and what parts have lead to a few more mins of "figuring out where that function is".

I will apologize if the backend stuff is too "off topic" for this thread. Let me know and we can always start another thread and propose some designs there.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 18:04

Home away from home
Very interesting views, Webmistress, thank you.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 22:13

Home away from home
From Belgium
Thanks WEbmistressM.

Good to hear why you are using ImpressCMS. Also, your view on who is using ImpressCMS actually is quite spot on.

Refreshing and adapting the admin UI is one of the goals for the 1.3 release. I'll start a new thread for that.

Posted on: 2011/2/22 7:36

Me on Ohloh

Home away from home
From Belgium
A nice read, related to this (look at the website analysis).
We're not alone

Posted on: 2011/2/22 22:12

Me on Ohloh

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You can add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.