Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

19 user(s) are online (7 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 19

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net

TinyConfig
Home away from home
From Netherlands
Hereby the 1st Release Candidate of TinyConfig.

With this module you can configure the WYSIWYG editor TinyMCE and set the toolbars per User Group.

TinyConfig works with ImpressCMS 1.3+

Configuration options
The following configuration options apply to all User Groups:
- Select skin
- Select skin variant
- Verify HTML
- Convert URLs
- Relative URLs
- Force BR elements
- Force P elements
- Forced root block
- Schema

Toolsets
The toolsets can be set per User Group.
The following options are available:
- Plugins
- Button bar 1
- Button bar 2
- Button bar 3
- Button bar 4
- Toolbar location
- Elements path location
- Resize

Installation
Unzip the package and upload the content to your server.
Install the module TinyConfig from the Module Administration like any other module.

Please note that the files editors/tinymce/formtinymce.php and editors/tinymce/tinymce.php will be overwritten.

Download
See attachment...

See also this forum topic.

Attach file:

zip tinyconfig_1_rc1.zip Size: 148.60 KB; Hits: 12

Posted on: 2012/3/29 23:33

Re: TinyConfig
Home away from home
From Netherlands
Was wondering if it's interesting to have the ability to set font-families and font-sizes per user group?

Posted on: 2012/4/1 20:48

Home away from home
That may be of use if the site is being used by, perhaps, a group with visual issues perhaps.

Posted on: 2012/4/1 20:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Netherlands
Quote:

david wrote:
That may be of use if the site is being used by, perhaps, a group with visual issues perhaps.

Not so sure about that.
I mean the 2 drop down menu's in the editor for selecting the font-family and font-size. These 2 lists can be configured if needed.

For a group with a visual handicap the High Contrast skin can be useful. Only the ICMS buttons don't work well with this skin.
At the moment the skin can not be set per user group, but I can change that. Perhaps better.

Posted on: 2012/4/1 21:32

Home away from home
From Belgium
Quote:
Was wondering if it's interesting to have the ability to set font-families and font-sizes per user group?

Shouldn't those be defined by and derived from the theme of the site? I think a user currently is confused by having a WYSIWYG editor that shows him one page, but once it's published, it shows the page totally different, because the CSS stylesheets between the editor and the site are not aligned.

I know I have been frustrated by this difference on occasion.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 6:52

Me on Ohloh

Home away from home
From Netherlands
Themes should not define the looks of for example an article. This has frustrated me a lot. Themes often disable features of WYSIWYG editors like the list features. This is a reason the list features (ul, ol, li) are redefined in the css of Impression.

At the moment the font menus (family and size) have the default TinyMCE values. If these are defined in the themes they should be removed from the editor because they don't have any function.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 8:44

Home away from home
hey thanks for this module. I think that this is a really important one. do not overload it with features (font-families and font-sizes)

Posted on: 2012/4/2 11:14

Home away from home
From Netherlands
TinyConfig has the default TinyMCE settings as it comes with ICMS upon installation.

Font-families and sizes can be set per user group, but by default they're all the same for each user group.

I can imagine that a webmaster wants the font-sizes not in pt, but in px or em. For example, I've created nearly 5000 articles with Impression and TinyEditor which used px for the font-size. When I continue with TinyMCE instead I want to have the font-size in px for new articles.

Further, TonyConfig is only accessible from the administration for webmasters.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 12:38

Home away from home
From Belgium
To come back to the theme : the user should be able to define the type of content he is entering : heading 1, heading 2, numbered list, etc...

But the specific layout of those shouldn't be defined in TinyMCE by the user. For several reasons:
1. If you override the theme definition for those tags every time, you will have a HUGE pageload because you will have lots of CSS embedded in your article content.
2. If you change your site theme, you will have to change all these articles by hand, because your content will look out of place in the new theme.

That doesn't mean that the use should be limited to the basic tags that are defined in the theme, but the editor should align itself with those tags, and not re-define them as standard behaviour.

Until now, the theme and the editors have existed in parallel, with both doing their own thing without taking note of the other. That makes editing a badly integrated solution so it should be avoided.

It is true that most themes until now have inherited some bad practices from the earlier days (Xoops or even more ancient than that).

Your integration module is a very good first step towards better integration. I'll be trying it out on my test site.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 7:40

Me on Ohloh

Home away from home
From Belgium
I tested the module and I must say that this is very nice! I'd like to ask one added functionality : the possibility to change the parameters based on the user group and the location they are used.
For example, it would be logical to allow registered users to write articles using many of the TinyMCE functions, but to limit the available buttons when that same user wants to post a comment.

I know comments are not a specific module, so that will make it trickier to implement.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 8:18

Me on Ohloh

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.