Make a Lasting Impression

Re: Imagemanager FCKeditor not working
Home away from home
From Germany
Well, so we'll need to figure out the issues. The neccessary fixes would be needed for editors/fckeditor/editor/fckdialog.html
Couldn't figure out all.. Just ie and in some cases chrome seems to have the issue. Maybe someone can have a look at the file?

Posted on: 2012/8/30 12:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Germany
Well, have no real working solution, but can give a workaround for people using the FCKEditor. You can force the IE to visit the site in compatibility mode. You just need to add the line below into your HTML-header for admin and front end theme, directly behind the title tag, before adding another meta-tag:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8">

This will tell the IE to view the site as IE8, as long as the version is higher than 8. Otherwise it will just ignore the tag. Not nice and no real solution, but mybe needs someone as long as there's no better solution available.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 15:02

Home away from home
From Derbyshire/UK
as far as i'm aware, there will only be 1 editor with 2.0 anyway, we're doing away with the dhtml editor & sticking with just 1 editor for all content.

the editor will have config options & editor buttons & shortcuts will be selectable on a group basis, so admins can have a really advanced editor with lots of buttons & shortcuts, and normal members could have only a few common buttons.

the choices are between tinymce & ckeditor.

both have their pro's & cons. but media uploading & attachments aren't possible with CKeditor unless you pay for the plugin from last I heard.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 13:44

The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together!

Home away from home
From Germany
Yes, and hope the fckeditor will removed than Better switching the editor yet to another one, if someone still using the fckeditor.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 14:43

Home away from home
Quote:

Vaughan wrote:

both have their pro's & cons. but media uploading & attachments aren't possible with CKeditor unless you pay for the plugin from last I heard.

Since CKEditor has a jQuery version, there are lots of options for an image manager/uploader.

Anyway, the editor shouldn't be responsible for media management and uploading. That's a job for a separate component. The editors just need a hook into it. I've been saying that since the X days.

Posted on: 2012/8/31 23:07

Home away from home
From Belgium
We have a media manager in the core, that isn't used enough for me. All media management should be concentrated and managed by the core. I agree with skenow here.

All the editor implementations are lacking one way or another, that's one of the reasons McDonald started his TinyConfig module I think. I believe that TinyMCE is currently less bad than the rest, but it needs work as well.

FCKEditor needs to be considered end-of-life, as there is no more development done to that branch. There is a new editor, but in order to use that one, a new integration will need to be done with CKEditor.

The core only needs to provide the framework in which the editors work. The editor's only responsability is to make it easy for the end-user to get the data ready for the core, so the core can do all that is necessary to get the data in the system. The editor mustn't do html cleanup or alterations of its own to the content.

The core has multiple responsibilities:
* take care of media handling
* allow configuration of the editors via the ACP
* allow different editor profiles for different user groups and modules (context-aware)
* be editor-agnostic

I propose we focus on TinyMCE for the 2.0 release. In the meantime, a new integration could be written for CKEditor. We re-evaluate the standard editor every year, based on a set of parameters
* is the ImpressCMS integration of good enough quality and actively maintained
* is the editor up-to-date (latest browsers, ...)
* is the editor consistent in input/output
* is the editor still being actively maintained
* size of the editor to include in pages
* does the editor support the needs of the core (and not limit the core because the editor can't handle stuff)
* ease of integration with the core
* documentation quality
* quality of the editor output (before the core treats the data) --> this can be debatable and dependent on preference.

PLEASE NOTE that this is only the 'standard' editor we're talking about. In the core, we should only support one, but there is nothing holding back people to integrate their own preference.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 9:25

Home away from home
An entire thread dedicated to editors...

Posted on: 2012/9/1 22:41

Home away from home
From Belgium
Exactly. My last post here is based on the discussions there. Let's continue the discussion about the editors there.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 9:43

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]