Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

25 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing News and Articles)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net
News and Articles > The ImpressCMS Project Announcement > Beta release for ImpressCMS 1.3.3

Beta release for ImpressCMS 1.3.3

Published by Skenow on 2012/7/19 (1870 reads)
Beta release for ImpressCMS 1.3.3

The ImpressCMS team is proud to present a beta release for ImpressCMS 1.3.3. Also included in this release will be updates to some of the core modules - Banners and Profile will have new releases.

This release is now ready to test, with a next beta of RC release planned on August 1st 2012. Let's take out the test sheet and make this a rock-solid release!

The complete list of changes can be found on the changelog on Assembla.

Major changes in this release 

Password encryption

This release has a major change to our password encryption methods and also to some of our authentication methods. Recent news stories about major sites having their user database hacked and passwords leaked has left many administrators scrambling to patch their sites or find new solutions. ImpressCMS has and always will have security as a primary focus. When you upgrade an existing site with 1.3.3, all the current passwords will be expired and users will need to reset their passwords upon their next login.

This is not to say our previous versions were insecure, we have been using 2-part Salt Keys & offering multiple hashing algorhythms since ImpressCMS 1.1. But these improvements to the system are very significant & as such we we feel it is in everyones best interests to force the password expiry, so that when users reset their passwords they will all be protected by the newer system.

Authentication fixes 

• LDAP and ADS authentication fixed
  • OpenID authentication fixed for some server configurations

Performance improvements

• Addressed slow loading pages when gzip was enabled
  • Improved performance of the installer during data insertion

Other improvements and updates

• Improvements in the rendering of scripts, css and meta links and tags
  • Updates to some external libraries
  • Dynamic extension of pagination styles 

Core modules 

Profile module - updated with the new password encryption methods
Banners module - some bug fixes and improvements
Content module - no change

Attention: This is a Beta Release!

Beta releases are solely for development and testing purposes. These releases can be unstable, but have passed initial tests by developers and testers. The features being introduced in the release may be incomplete, but time has come for more feedback on the design and implementation of those features. Alpha releases are not for finding bugs, that is the purpose of the Beta Release.

A Beta Release is not suitable for running a live website - use it for testing purposes only.

Feature-complete

This release is based on the latest source code, so all known critical and major bugs should be gone. This release should be feature-complete, no large refactoring parts remain.

Compatibility with ImpressCMS 1.2

ImpressCMS 1.3 introduced a major reshuffling of the core source code, but a large effort has been made to keep compatibility with ImpressCMS 1.2 and its modules. The debug messages will display deprecated messages for any old code still being used and also suggest the proper resolution for them.

Updated versions of old modules have been released to take advantage of the optimizations and restructuring started in 1.3. New modules have also been introduced based solely on ImpressCMS 1.3 to provide alternatives and also fill some previous gaps in functionality.

Verifying whether modules work correctly at this stage will enable the module maintainers to fix their code. In the absence of a current module maintainer, a new one could be found.

Module Testing

Please test your favorite modules for compatibility, and report on the result of those tests (either working AND non working) in the appropriate forum.

Download

About ImpressCMS

The goal of the ImpressCMS Project is to stimulate and promote the open source nature of the CMS in both the core and its modules and establish itself as the premiere CMS by expanding the system to meet the needs of their users now and well into the future.
ImpressCMS is - Secure. Easy. Open.

• Open Source
  • Open Development
  • Open Philosophy
  • Open Community

Want to get involved?

If you're looking to join the ImpressCMS project, then get on board! All you need to do is head on over and complete the ImpressCMS Team form.

We'd love to connect with you ...

* Ohloh project
* Facebook group
* Facebook fans page
* LinkedIn group
* Delicious
* Flickr
* YouTube
* Last.FM
* ImpressCMS Toolbar

The ImpressCMS Project
Steve Kenow
Spokesperson
press@impresscms.org

Navigate through the articles
Previous article documentation forums are now open ImpressCMS Installer Added to Softaculous Next article
The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.
Poster Thread
Madfish
Posted: 2012/7/27 2:55  Updated: 2012/7/27 2:55
Home away from home
 Re: Beta release for ImpressCMS 1.3.3
Test sheet is a great idea :)
fiammybe
Posted: 2012/8/1 21:29  Updated: 2012/8/1 21:29
Home away from home
Yep, some more people willing to test a specific part would be great. And if those people would fill out the test sheet... heaven
sato-san
Posted: 2012/8/2 2:36  Updated: 2012/8/2 2:36
Home away from home
Ok, please let me know which part is important to testing from the 1.3.3?
Vaughan
Posted: 2012/8/2 12:26  Updated: 2012/8/2 12:26
Home away from home
all areas of password functions need thoroughly testing.

both in new install & after updating to 1.3.3

login, change password (both with & without profile module (trunk version))

change encryption method, then login & test the password reset system too.

test the lost password feature too.
sato-san
Posted: 2012/8/4 3:17  Updated: 2012/8/4 3:17
Home away from home
OK, I finished and added some tickets. But I didn't testing with the profile module. Could anyone do this?
lotus
Posted: 2012/8/6 11:15  Updated: 2012/8/6 11:15
Home away from home
My wish for the next release is, to replace the content-module with the CMS-module from sato-san. Is this possible? The CMS Module is a nativ IPF-Module and offers some cool functions, that the content-modul does not offer, such as creating contents without any fixed-items like the gray-content-header.
bleekk
Posted: 2012/8/7 17:31  Updated: 2012/8/7 17:31
Home away from home
installed the new beta version on my wamp server.
installation went fine till the module installation step (install/page_modulesinstall.php)
here the error I get:
Current version: 40
Updating to version 43
Successfully updated to version 41
Notifying ImpressCMS

after refreshing I got a blank page. I refreshed twice so I got the message that all modules are installed. then the installation finished fine
sato-san
Posted: 2012/8/7 23:15  Updated: 2012/8/7 23:15
Home away from home
Thank for feedback bleekk! I think @steve fixed a few days ago your found issue.

In the next version it's possible to deactivat the HTMLPurifier and to creat any contents without line break issue also.
fiammybe
Posted: 2012/8/14 10:00  Updated: 2012/8/14 10:00
Home away from home
Concerning the deactivation of HTMLPurifier : I strongly advice against it, unless in some very specific situations where the site is not setup to accept user content (posts, comments ...).
ImpressCMS is proud of its security measures, but if you deactivate some, then it's at your own risk of course.

We should look into ways for ImpressCMS 2.0 to make it configurable HTMLPurifier filtering, for example by basing it on user group/user profile.