Make a Lasting Impression

Join the Mailing List

Who's Online

5 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing News and Articles)

Members: 0
Guests: 5

more...
ImpressCMS proudly uses SourceForge
ImpressCMS on Ohloh.net
News and Articles > ImpressCMS Community News > Contributor Spotlight > ImpressCMS Contributors - Retrospect Part 8

ImpressCMS Contributors - Retrospect Part 8

Published by [CMS]Stefan on 2013/4/20 (372 reads)

In this series of articles, we take you back to how it all started for ImpressCMS.

We do this in a series of interviews with our early contributors. This series of interviews marks the 5th anniversary of ImpressCMS.

This time, we had an interview with Sina Asghari. A couple of years ago, he needed to create a (dynamic) website for a friend's project. Some friends, who were at the time active @ xoops.ir, the support site for Persian speaking users, suggested to use Xoops. The site was supposed to be running in Persian and the modules that were needed, were not yet translated. That's what got him involved in xoops. He started to translate modules to Persian, but wasn't a big fan of the closed-minded mentality at xoops.ir.

How did you get involved with ImpressCMS?

Sina

I started my own project, mpxp, which stood for "My Persian Xoops Project". It's purpose was to attract fellow Persian speaking users to contribute in translations and documentations, commonly localizing the modules and themes for xoops. I was also making a new effort to implement built-in support for RTL languages. Around the same time, some developers at xoops went their own way to start their own fork(s). Among them there was ImpressCMS. During the first month the website was closed to the viewers, and that me curious and wondering about what they were making. It's also important to know that during the whole period I was working with xoops (around a year or more), there was no major upgrade in xoops. The only progress was some bug fixes. So there was a big need for progress.

Begin Januray 2008, ImpressCMS's website opened for public, and their very first release, Janus, was stylish, promising, attractive and progressive. I liked it instantly, and decided to contribute as translator. With MPXP, I already had a various amount of translated modules and translating the new core wasn't much of work. So I could focus on building a community!

One of the main reason I got more and more involved in ImpressCMS was the open-minded mentality of the users and project-leaders. From the beginning, I could talk to the developers, share my idea's, critics, point of views and they were available to answer my questions and posts. I liked this mentality and this way of working. By becoming the Persian translator, I also got access to the SVN repository. During the same period, I also started to learn coding. Because of my position, I was looking at the project from another point of view. It was that of an active member in localizing the project, so I could see the inabilities of the system and decided to work on them. That's the moment I started to use my access to SVN and little coding expertise to work on the core as well. At first I added some features to make localizing for RTL users easier, then support for different calendar types and so on. So I got more and more involved in the project and worked on my PHP skills, so that we can bring ImpressCMS on a higher level. This all led me to become the lead developer of ImpressCMS 1,2.

What where your goals and ambitions when you started getting involved with Impresscms?

My ambitions for ImpressCMS were to make it a CMS which is easy to use by and for any user, but also giving a strong platform for the big players. I believe(d) in the fact that by providing a strong core, you can attract more (module) developers, designers and efficiency to the platform. For instance, like I mentioned earlier by implementing RTL feature, the system was easier to use and attractive for a big unreached group (at the time). Along with that, building the CMS and the Community with it was also important to me!

Do you still use the tools?

Unfortunately, I'm not using it very actively. Back in 2009 when I was the lead developer of the project, I used the system on a various amount of websites. Later that year, I had to reduce my contributions to the project because of my studies. But every now and then, when I have a project, I mainly use ImpressCMS to get the work done. Or at least, it's one of my top 3 choices. Currently I'm designing a website for our alumni's club, which will be running on ImpressCMS!

In which direction do you see the community evolve?

I have been disconnected with the community for a while now. Occasionally I visit the website, but I'm not that involved any more. But just like Marc-André, I too believe it's focus should be on developing the best and most easy to use community management system.

Any recommendations for the future?

I believe it's very important to keep the system accessible and very easy to use for all users. I also believe there is a big room for progress in (theme) design and modules/extensions!

Our previous interviews can be viewed at: http://community.impresscms.org/mod ... egoryid=30

Navigate through the articles
Previous article ImpressCMS Contributors - Retrospect Part 9 ImpressCMS Contributors - Retrospect Part 7 Next article
The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.
Poster Thread